Saturday, October 20, 2007

Three Month Old Robert Olen Butler Email Still Fantastic

This is old news, but it occurred to me that those of you who aren't regular frequenters of New York gossip sites or MFA-affiliated may have missed this delightful example of writerly instability.

Before I was alerted to this email, Pulitzer Prize winner Robert Olen Butler had only entered my radar on two other occasions. The first was when my roommate alerted me to the fact that Deep Green Sea is the worst book ever written. The second was when J and I saw him read in Atlanta at last year's AWP conference.

It was pretty weird. He read these crazy short shorts that speculated about what two famous characters might say to one another after having sex.

Example: What would Hitler say to Snow White while enjoying the afterglow in a 1945 bunker? What would Bugs Bunny say to Charles de Gaulle as they buckled up in a 1960s government building in Algeria? What would Nancy Reagan say to Flash Gordon in a Hollywood hotel room in 1982?

Each story was a specific number of words - 260 or something. Read one after the other like that, they sounded like the diary of a touched man.

So I already had a less than glowing view of Butler, and then Gawker posted this email, originally sent to graduate students at Florida State University in response to Butler's impending divorce with his wife, the novelist Elizabeth Dewberry.

Rumors will soon be swirling around the department, so I want to tell the full and nuanced story to the five of you among the graduate students and ask that you clarify the issues for any of your fellow grad students who ask. This sort of thing can get wildly distorted pretty quickly. You can feel free to use any part or all of this email to do so. I really appreciate your help.

Put down your cup of coffee or you might spill it.

Elizabeth is leaving me for Ted Turner.

She and I will remain the best of friends. She also knows about, endorses, and even encourages that I tell this much detail of the story:
She has spoken openly in her work and in her public life of the fact that she was molested by her grandfather from an early age, a molestation that was known and tacitly condoned by her radically Evangelical Christian parents. She then went into a decade-long abusive marriage. I met her when she was in a terminally desperate state from this lifetime of abuse, and we married and we truly loved each other.

I was able to help her a great deal. She says I saved her life. But de facto therapy as the initial foundation of a marriage eventually sucks the life out of a relationship. And it is very common for a woman to be drawn to men who remind them of their childhood abusers. Ted is such a man, though fortunately, he is far from being abusive. From all that I can tell, he is kind to her, loyal, considerate, and devoted to his family, and perhaps, therefore, he can redeem some things for her.

Further, Elizabeth has never been able to step out of the shadow of the Pulitzer. As you know-and she knows-I have been an avid admirer and supporter of her work. Everyone has heard me proclaim my sincere high regard for her as an artist. I often did this publicly. But she has published two brilliant novels since she's been with me and neither has gotten anywhere near the recognition that they richly deserve. That made it harder and harder for her to live with the ongoing praise and opportunity that flows to a Pulitzer winner. Not because of jealousy. She has always been very happy for me. But the multitude of small reflections of regard that came my way inevitably threw a spotlight on the absence of those expressions of regard for her. She felt as if she was failing as a writer.

Then, in March, she nearly died from an intestinal blockage in Argentina while on a trip with Ted. The trauma of that led her further to profoundly question her own identity. It became clear to her that the only way she can truly find herself is by making this change in her life.

She will not be Ted's only girlfriend. Ted is permanently and avowedly non-monogamous. But though he has several girlfriends, it is a very small number, and he does not take them up lightly and he gives them his absolute support when he does. And Elizabeth's leaving me is as much about the three weeks a month she is alone as it is about the week a month she is with Ted. She will find her own space and her own light in which to create the great works of art she is destined to create.

I will keep my house. I will keep my dogs and cats. I will keep virtually everything. She is being characteristically generous about that. But I will lose Elizabeth. And that is very sad. But the loss has been happening through many years of our shared struggle to make her whole. In that, I've done all I can do, as has she. I wish her the best. I ask you not to think ill of her in any way.

Elizabeth and I will now conduct ourselves as if this is public knowledge. So as I suggested at the outset, you need not keep this to yourself, if the occasion arises to speak of it to someone. This is best anyway, since I am not up to the task of telling this story over and over.

I have a high regard and affection for the students in our program. I hope this will help them sort out this rather intense story in an appropriate way.

Best,
Bob Butler

And I think I'll just leave it at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Mir,
If this lunatic can do it, you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Mir, maybe i am naive or provincial (so please - educate me), but it seems to me that the ongoing reinvention of the writing craft has become tired and old in its desperate attempt to create something - anything new....and i am dismayed at the Pulitzer having been awarded to a guy who writes sophomoric shite like sexed-up Hitler and Snow White dialogue.....something you could find in an issue of MAD magazine - which is fine....but the crafting of really great writing has always been set apart by its utilization of honest and stimulating language that provides an audience of readers the opportunity to experience that which is illuminating, entertaining, instructional, or any one of a hundred other things that affect culture and society in ways that transcend generational and cultural boundaries....the only thing having awarded this guy the Pulitzer has done, is to make me wonder if the folks that decide who receives the Pulitzer have lunch with the folks who decide who receives the Nobel...sorry, I own a copy of Earth in the Balance and generally have some regard for Al...but, (in my simple opinion) he didn't deserve the Nobel any more than Bob deserved the Pulitzer....

....and poor Elizabeth....having been married to this man would have driven any woman to Ted Turner..... : (

c. g. said...

As a clinical social worker, I can think of two or three Axis II diagnoses that would fit nicely. However, let me be less clinical and simply say: "The condescending drip!"

But Butler, a psychologically savvy man, more precisely hit the nail on the head when he said, "And it is very common for a woman to be drawn to men who remind them of their childhood abusers."

Elizabeth, you go, girl.