Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Heart New York 4

Look at this:I took this picture yesterday from my apartment. I was working on my computer, sitting on my bed (which also serves as my office), when J's eyes got really big and he told me to turn around. Slowly. A hawk had landed on our fire escape, not two feet from where I sat. A hawk.

I've seen hawks in the city before, usually in the park from a distance, but this time the thing landed just a pane of glass away. And in its talons was a freshly-killed pigeon. As we watched, the hawk eyed us up and down, repositioned himself on top of his dinner, and began to tear its feathers out.

J, Justin, the two cats and I sat by the window for a full hour, both gleeful and horrified, as the hawk ate first the pigeon's head, then its heart, guts, and even choked down one whole leg - foot and all. I've never seen anything like it.

The thing was gorgeous, and huge, though its hard to tell from the photo. But if you look closely you'll see it's standing on a pigeon - not a small bird - and you can get a sense of how massive the thing was.

Once it was done, the hawk flew away, leaving our fire escape covered in feathers, bird shit, and the carcass:


It was the most intimate National Geographic moment I've ever had, and in New York City, of all places.

To top it all off, we may have solved the mystery of the demon bird...

GTD from 760***0487:
mir Come to the bathrooms

6 comments:

c. g. said...

i can't believe you, J, Bean and Turk didn't somehow scare him off, bones & feathers and entrails a-trailing. B & T must have been wild with astonishment, while intimidated out of their little skulls. or jealous? i mean, there was a bird feast going on. how did they not pummel the window?

our cat, The Puss, often left remains for us. the worst being the Large Rat remains he left, appropriately, in the dining room.

ahhhhh. demon bird revealed. betcha he wasn't squawking tho. more like purring.

Justin said...

I got some video footage of him in action. It isn't great - my camera's batteries were dying - but still gives you an idea of the excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvlw24Tn4Y

Anonymous said...

This is a gift I would wish on every person who has not had the privilege of seeing it. Sunsets and ocean vistas may be the 'go to' scenes we prefer, but the twists and turns of Continuing Creation are, just as often, jagged and bloody. And, to the hawk, every bit as beautiful..

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeewww!

c. g. said...

justin, good get. i appreciate your leaving the feasting frenzy to our imagination.

Lunafly said...

Well I guess you city folk sure do have a different way of feeling close to nature. Yikes!