Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Updates

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. Historically, my mom kind of gets shafted on her birthday. Before the divorce, there were brunches and flowers and expensive bottles of Coco Chanel, but after the divorce, it was homemade cards and hastily wrapped books. And even though my dad spent years reminding us not to forget our mother, once we left for college, gifts were sent back late, or sometimes not at all. There was even a year when I forgot her birthday entirely, and didn't remember to call until weeks later. Luckily, my mom is a rare and awesome women lacking both resentment and materialism, and never once has she guilted Kyle or I for our lackluster celebration of her birth. So head on over to her page and wish her a happy belated.

Yesterday was also the first day of school. I don't start my graduate workshop until next week, but I did start teaching my undergraduate intermediate fiction class at NYU. And, as someone who's Googled teachers for years, I'm now wondering at the wisdom of have a public but very personal blog out there. Is it okay for your students to know the date when you last cried? Or that you have a virulent disrespect for Charles Baxter? Or what you look like sitting six feet above your buried brother? Oh well. I'm sure the veneer of authority would've slipped soon enough. Writing gets me excited, and in the last class I taught I blew my cover the first day by breaking into a clapping, beaming, barely-seated book cheer. Goooooo fiction!

In other news, I'm reading for the first time this Friday at NYU's Emerging Writers' Reading Series. Darin Strauss is headlining, which is exciting, so email me if you're in town and want details.

And last, but hardly least, the scaffolding that's been up in front of my building for six months finally came down. It's like God lifted the roof off of the sky.

GTD from 760***0487:
mir goddd. i wish you werent in texas travis is having a huge party tonight i think. uughhh. but i needa talk to ya girliee.

4 comments:

c. g. said...

i am so glad your scaffolding is gone and must travel this spring somehow to see the lack of it. thanks for birthday tribute and the exquisite baby roses. kick ass (break a leg?) on friday. and what is it with these GTDs? i mean these folk don't know you, but have your name. is this like a plot to slowly or rapidly drive you crazy like in the old movies? who the fuck is travis?

Anonymous said...

"Luckily, my mom is a rare and awesome women lacking both resentment and materialism"

Right on!

You will be glad to know that this year your Mom has been celebrating for over a week. I have lost count of the cards and gifts that have been coming in daily.

I personally would not worry about the students and your blog. I don't know why teachers are supposed to be viewed as something not quite human. You are a brilliant writer and I believe your students will admire your talent and honesty. Just be yourself Miranda, you are an outstanding role model for those young writers.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the GTDs are fantastic...

...and, as the token middle-age college student/family member who frequents your blog, I can assure you that any amount of humanity you bring to the classroom is valued and appreciated. Students finding their way to your blog will certainly become well educated in family, community, and the knowledge and understanding that your writing conveys. No worries, hun... : )

Happy Scaffolding Down Day!

Lunafly said...

When I took fiction writing in college I remember my professor always encouraging us to free-write as much as we could stand to do so. If your methods are similar I believe what you have written provides a great and honest example. And while I often received TMI from some of my professors I believe what you have shared to be very honest and appropriate.