Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Harder They Fall

I stopped blogging about mosquitoes because, what with Kyle and Iraq and my monthly student loan statements, the tragedy of scratching through the night sort of pales in comparison.

But that's not to say the attacks have stopped. Here we are, November 15th, and somehow a super race of cold weather mosquitoes is breeding in my apartment. We've taken out the screens and taped up every crack in the windows and still, night after night I wake up scratching. My nightstand is cluttered with sprays and lotions and anti-itch creams. The shapes of the bottles have become so familiar I can reach over and apply an ointment without even waking up all the way. Occasionally I get lucky and am able to kill one, but there's always another the next night, buzzing my ear as I drift off to sleep, taunting me to get up, turn on the light, and go to battle.

There's one mosquito in particular that's the bane of my existence. This guy is huge, much larger than the bitty ones I'm able to kill, and evolutionarily superior. He knows how to hide. I only ever get a glimpse of him before bed, and no matter how quickly I rushed to turn on the light and track the son of a bitch down, he always eludes me. I've come to see him as the Mosquito Big Boss, watching from the shadows as I swat at his foot soldiers, waiting until I'm completely unconscious before coming out to torture me. And how long a mosquito is supposed to live exactly? Because I swear this dude has been feasting on me for weeks. Weeks.

Anyway, this morning at around 6:30, J got up and sat at the end of the bed. I had no idea what he was doing - I suspected it was cat-related - and I wasn't going to waste my last half hour of sleep figuring it out. When my alarm went off, I stumbled to the bathroom with my don't-fucking-talk-to-me look on my face.

I came back a few minutes later, teeth brushed and ready to engage in human interaction, and J was still sitting on the edge of the bed. "Babe," he said. "Come here. I have something to show you that's going to make your morning."

Unless he had a suitcase full of cash or a copy of the published novel I'd unknowingly written and sold in a Fight Club trance, there was no way he was going to make my morning. I stayed up too late last night. The sky was gray and the forecast predicted rain. But oh, how I'd underestimated him.

He patted the blanket, I sat down, and then he slowly turned to point at a half-dollar-sized bloodstain on our white walls.

"Is that..."

"It is."

"Is it...him?"

"Babe, I got him."

He was got alright, with what looked like a pint of our blood bursting from his evil little belly. Rain or not, work or not, J was right. What a fantastically terrific morning. May November 15th, 2007, be forever remembered as the day J felled the beast. For in a time of great turmoil and uncertainty, it is the little victories that help us fight on another day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

....i say this calls for a national holiday, award ceremony, or some such thing to commemorate the tracking down and slaying of the damn terrorist mosquito....

...and did you never try the citronella?.... : )

Justin said...

It's great that men can be heroic without even getting out of bed.

Anonymous said...

I know about the creams next to the bed real well after living in Jamaica. I finally got a mosquito net to cover my bed, which helped but made it hot at night. (especially after finding a huge rat one morning and decided I needed to keep all my shutters tightly closed at night) I guess suggesting a net seems silly as you live in New York City for God sakes and the cats would have a hey day climbing up the net - oh well... Lets hope that was the last of the season.

Rob, citronella oil on the skin did not work for me but I did fill my apartment with the candles and light them every night from sun down until I closed the shutters for sleep. It may have helped a bit but in the morning I would always find several mosquitos resting on the outside of my net .

By the way, great writing as always dear niece.

Anonymous said...

" It's great that men can be heroic without even getting out of bed. "

Okaaaay....sooo...like, where do i find one of these men, 'cause i'm holdin' out..... : )

Anonymous said...

Try brewer's yeast tablets. I grew up in Montana where the mosquitoes were GIANT! My ma had us swallow one brewer's yeast "vitamin" each morning, and it apparently puts out some subtle smell that is not apparent to humans but abhorrent to mosquitoes. Also, cats love the taste of them. We would crumble one in the cat's dry food dish in the morning, and it would also keep the fleas off the cat.

Lunafly said...

ever get a centipede - woah baby!

Anonymous said...

oh, Alicia...or an earwig in your bathing suit....what a memory..... : (

didi979 said...

. . . laughing out-loud on this one; hurray for the j-man! A good day is definitely something to appreciate!

Hugs,
Aunt Di