Monday, November 19, 2007

Birthday Dream

I had a birthday Saturday, which was a lot of fun, though I ended up with food poisoning on Sunday. Severe vomiting was hardly an auspicious beginning to my 26th year...but hey, there's no way 26 can be worse than 25, right?

That night, some of my girlfriends and I went to a bar, and let me tell you (if you already don't know), tipsy women will get into some bizarre conversations when there's no testosterone around. Did you know they have hair-dyeing kits specifically for the pubic region? Me neither.

And the celebration continues. Tonight, J and I are going to a Bright Eyes show at Radio City Music Hall. I haven't seen Bright Eyes live, nor have I been to Radio City, and my excitement grows by the hour.



But really, the reason I'm writing this post is to tell you about the dream I had Friday night. It was a Kyle dream, only my second since he died, and, unlike 99.9% of the dreams I have, I woke up with it absolutely clear and coherent in my mind.

Kyle and I were in my apartment, but my apartment was in some sort of New York City projects skyscraper, and out the window I could see one of those benched courtyards that drug dealers use as commercial spaces. Kyle and I were just hanging out...well, hanging out isn't the right phrase. We were more coexisiting, sharing the same space out of necessity more than choice. Just like families do.

And Kyle was being a brat. Bugging me for this and that, going through my shit, being an overall pain in the ass, just like he was in life. This struck me as funny, even in the dream. I had a sort of half awareness that he was already dead, and in the dream I couldn't help but laugh at the contrast between how reverentially we've all been treating him in death and the reality of his life, in which he was frequently a loud, obnoxious, punk-ass kid. It was reassuring, though. I'd been feeling all this guilt at having spent so much of my time squabbling with him, and the dream was a reminder that hey, just because Kyle's dead doesn't change the fact that he could be a real jerk sometimes. He was a little brother, for chrissakes, and while I certainly could have had more big-sisterly patience, he could've spent a little less time snooping through my stuff.

Anyway, at the end of the dream, Kyle leaned out the window to shout to all the people down in the courtyard, "My sister's doing a reading in ten minutes! And she has huge tits!" The crowd roared, and I looked out to see not the few dozen people that had been milling around out there, but hundreds and hundreds of cheering people in puffy coats, all with their faces turned up to me, all begging for the show to begin.

So I picked up a play (I don't know which one or who wrote it, regrettably), stripped to my waist, stood in the window, and began to monologue. I only got a few words out, though, because then the cops came and began busting heads, and I watched, bare-breasted, as a riot broke out below me.

Weird, huh?

GTD from 760***4827:
Wana get up nails dond wit me 2nite? N den chil at my casa?

6 comments:

c. g. said...

Amazing dream. You are so honest to put it all out there. And you're right about the pain-in-the-neck part. Keeping his room a mess, leaving crap all over the counters in the kitchen, getting in your (or my) stuff, loud, charging through space, demanding this or that. But I think this dream captures his being proud of you, even if he embarrassed you by showing it.

Sorry you got sick again. Hope most of your Birthday Weekend was great.

c. g. said...

And as for this Bright Eyes video -- I really love it.

Anonymous said...

....what the hell did you eat before sleeping....and happy birthday, hun....twenty-six is oh, so marvelous....enjoy every day....and hugs.... : )

Anonymous said...

*Envy*
not the 26 part.
The Bright Eyes part..

Anonymous said...

Hi Mir, Your Mom and I are getting a jump on thanksgiving dinner tonight, already have her cranberry chutney done, bread cubes drying in the oven, giblets simmering and turkey brining. So , while that's all going on, let me tell you my no-brainer Freudian interpretation of your dream: I dont know what all the Kyle brattiness part ws abouit except to remind you that he was that way sometimes (comforting, no?). But the other part was him announcing to the world that you are amazing and people should pay attention and giving you the chance to expose your inner self, and you doing it, even though it makes you feel -- (Don't know, you don't say...) '
Happy Thanksgiving my dear, we miss you! Love, Aunt Della

Anonymous said...

By "giving you the chance to expose..." I meant the blog, about him, exposing your feelings about his death.

Found this on the web for you:

According to Jung:

1. All dreams come in the service of health and wholeness.


2. No dream comes simply to tell the dreamer what he or she already knows.

3. Only the dreamer can say with certainty what meanings a dream may hold.

4. There is no such thing as a dream with only one meaning

5. All dreams speak a universal language of metaphor and symbol.

More important than the cognitive understanding of dreams is the act of experiencing the dream material and taking this material seriously. Jung encourages us to befriend our dreams and to treat them not as isolated events but as communications from the unconscious. This process creates a dialogue between conscious and unconscious and is an important step in the integration of the two.

Love, Aunt Della