Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Year of the Bird

I left my apartment this morning to go to work and found a bird in my hallway. It was a pigeon and it didn't seemed to mind me too much, it just waddled away when it saw me. In fact, I think I minded it more than it minded me. This is now my fifth bird infiltration since September. Here I had gone almost twenty-six years with only one blurry childhood bird-in-the-house memory, and then within the space of two months I've had five birds of varying species come indoors. What in God's name is going on?

I had a vague memory of some symbolism or superstition attached to a bird in the house, so when I got to work, I did a Google search. Yahoo Answers had this for me. Apparently, a bird in the house means someone in your family is going to die unexpectedly within a year.

Scary, I know. I don't have that many immediate family members left to lose. And I'm the one seeing all these birds. What if it's me who's destined for a premature death? If I only have a year, how the hell am I going to get a novel written? What will my parents do with both kids gone?

Luckily, reason soon prevailed. My brother died unexpectedly, and not one bird came in to warn me beforehand. All these birds I'm seeing now must be late arrivals, sent from the far off land where these things are decided and only just making it to me with tardy warnings of my brother's death. Or maybe their presence now is an apology. "We meant to tell you," they're saying, "you want to be prepared for this sort of thing. But no one told us you have those cats and we had to go back and find a business address for you...anyway, we're here now. And we just want to say how sorry we are. Twenty-two years old. Jesus Christ."

GTD from 710***2611:
when does your hockey start?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend Normand, whom I was madly in love with when I was 22. He was killed on Martha's Vineyard in a car accident three days before his 24th birthday.

He woke several mornings during the summer with a little bird taping on his window. Folk lore also says a bird taping om the window means a death is coming.

Two days before he died we were driving in my car and he was really nervous driving. I asked him what was wrong, as I had never seen him act this way before. He said, "oh I had the worst nightmare last night, I was in a car accident and it left me feeling really unsettled."

The night he died was the first night in months I did not get together with him. In fact I was on my way to meet him and our other friends when I asked my girlfriend to drop me at home - something made me turn away or I would have been in the car with him that night.

I woke at dawn that morning and could hear sirens going from what sounded like one side of the island, passing my street and all the way to the hospital on the other side of the island. I thought how bizarre, my hearing has become supersonic.

It was several hours later that I heard Normand was dead.

Strange things do happen so please don't stop looking for signs, they may be right under your nose.

c. g. said...

i think your conclusion is right: birds aren't the brightest. finding your business location was as much as one could hope from a bird. it was a matter of timing. at least i hope so.

but then there's Snowball. a Bird of Very Big Brain. god, if he shows up anywhere near you, we better all run for cover!

c. g. said...

Wait! Stop the presses! 5 Bird infiltrations since September? September! Migration! Birds are on the road. In uncharted territory (maybe they forgot a lot since year), these birds are simply trying to get through town!!! Think of all the near wrong turns, confusion, even near accidents that happens when any of us are traveling in a place we haven't been in ever or for a while. All that pollution has clogged up their roaming devices. It's not a death thing. It's an "I gotta get home" thing.