Monday, December 24, 2007

Blue Christmas

I just got home from Christmas with my dad. We went ice skating in Central Park, trailed Leann's well-bundled grandkids through an amazing throng of foreigners to see the Big Tree, and had coco and pizza and presents under a decorated palm in the hotel suite.

It was a really lovely evening.

Now I'm home in pj's, The Godfather's on, and my Google searches show a number of permutations of "dead" and "Christmas." So I thought I'd post this. Not because I'm miserable, but because in the back of my mind even on my best days there's a soft blue whisper, a reminder that the hardest time to be sad is when you are expected to be happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Eve my dear niece, I love and miss you lots.

wanda said...

The line, "the hardest time to be sad is when you're expected to be happy" resonates deeply within me. Blue Christmases are notorious. It is fortunate that your dad and mom are both there in NY with you. May you find some peace and joy mingled with the sadness. You are in my thoughts, cousin. xo

c. g. said...

dear wanda, wendy, walden, wesley, (and uncle wally wherever you are) -- i hope this holiday season is as peaceful as possible without your mother (and wife), who was always a gentle soul. i'll never forget her melodious voice. she often reminded me of my mother. they both had a quiet graceful demeanor, and great patience with those Whitham husbands! much love, cindy

wanda said...

Hi Cyn,
Having to make sure that this season didn't pass unnoticed, my dad ended up missing the bottom step at the Montessori school where he volunteers and plunged headfirst into a pile of furniture. He jumped up immediately, lest any of the little ones thought Papa Wally was hurt. 2 days later he landed in the hospital with back spasms, and the bronchitis that he'd been nursing then turned into pneumonia. No broken bones, lots of pain killers and several antibiotics later finds him in JML Care Center rehab - the same place you visited my mom after one of her strokes, where we had a good cry together. 'Tis the season.
Hope that you and Miranda are able to find some bits of happiness and some memories of days of yore that bring smiles. Thanks for the thoughts. xo-w