Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm Feeling Ambivalent About New York - Part I

I had a bad morning. I was late and in a shitty mood and the weather was being coy - too wet for my hair but too dry for an umbrella. I walked as fast as I could to the subway, not even pausing to pull out my iPod. That's how bad my sulk was. Music would make me feel better and I didn't want to give it the chance.

You should've seen my face. I scowled at the garbage man, I scowled at the school kids. I scowled at the tree farmer who sells Evergreens in front of the Wallgreens. The trees in the cold smelled like Christmas, but I breathed through my mouth. The cigarette stand man threw a treat to a passing Labrador, who caught it in the air, and I looked away. I'd be damned if some charming neighborhood traditions were going to make me feel better.

I stopped at the top of the subway stairs to get out my Metrocard. This is harder than it sounds. As a little girl, I watched my mother stand at a register or gas pump or ATM and fish through her massive purse for her massive wallet, which held a massive brick of receipts and business cards and credit cards, only one of which she needed at that particular time. I would think, as I watched her, that there had to be a better way.

Well, there's not.

When I finally found my wallet and finally rifled through it, I discovered two cards. One had $20 on it but was bent and unusable (they say I have to mail it in), but the second one looked okay.

I started down the steps. I could hear a train, it was going my way. If you hold your card right and hurry, it's just possible to get down the stairs, swipe through, get down the second flight of stairs, and make it onto a car before the doors close. I readied my card, I ran, I swiped, but in taunting green letters:

INSUFFICIENT FARE.

Sometimes a feeling comes over me when I'm frustrated like this, and I hate absolutely everything I see. Hate.

I fumbled for my bent card. This entrance wasn't a normal entrance, it was a sort of half entrance, with just a turnstile and no way to buy a new card. The nearest booth was two blocks away. I heard the train brake, the ding of the doors. I swiped.

PLEASE SWIPE AGAIN

I swiped. People started coming up the stairs, filing past me through the exit turnstile. I swiped and swiped and swiped. I was so late. I don't mind telling you almost started crying.

And then from behind me, "Hey."

I turned. It was some Spanish guy in a puffy coat. He had just come off the train, he'd seen me swiping, and when I saw he was talking to me I gave him the meanest, most slit-eyed look I knew. Even Kyle never saw a look this mean. There's something about New York, people think that just because you're on the street, you want to be talked to.

But this guy didn't say anything else, just pulled out his card, swiped me through, and walked away. He barely looked at me. Just swiped and turned. He was halfway up the stairs when I thanked him.

Here in New York, I feel like the city performs miracles. I mean that literally. The guts and steam and press of the city makes miracles happen and every once in a while you get one, right when you're about to give. This guy in the puffy coat gets off his train, comes up the stairs, and sees me cussing at a turnstile. It's 7:46 a.m. and because the train doors are closing and it's shitty out and my card is bent and it's apparent that for whatever reason this is the day I'm gonna go, because he has felt that exact buckle in his knees, because everyone here is a few ounces from breaking even if we hide it most of the time, he and New York took pity. They swiped me through. They let me through the turnstiles and I didn't have to pay a thing.

And all was right with the city, until a complicated real estate catastrophe forced me out of Chelsea's gardens and construction sites and into power pumped, pinstriped mid-50s Park Avenue. That's right, dear reader...MIDTOWN!!!

(to be continued...)

4 comments:

c. g. said...

Thank you for the purse/wallet vindication. I've sort of gotten better but I believe there are mischievous spirits who f*** with you just for the fun of it. Like two weekends ago when Marylou and I had finished a lovely meal and were on our way to the theatre and EVEN THO I REALLY REALLY DID PUT THE PARKING LOT TICKET IN THE INSIDE OF MY WALLET ACTUALLY IN A SLOT NEATLY TUCKED INSIDE (congratulating myself with "Look at that, you are actually taking the time to put the ticket in a nice safe place!"), IT WAS NOT THERE!!!, nor anywhere in my wallet come validation time. In my case, one of the workers took HIS PERSONAL card out, validated it and gave it to me. He'd be the one who had to plead with the Powers that Be Later, bless him. When I entered the garage hours later, of course the damned missing ticket showed up in my wallet, pretty much jumped out into my hand. Go figure.

And I love that these saviour moments often happen when we are all smug in our righteous fury, determined the world is one relentless Jean-Paul Sartre hell of a place. As if to prove it will not be dependable or predictable, the nasty spirit's older helpful brother shows up delivering a metrocard or a parking lot ticket or another random act of human kindness.

Anonymous said...

...don't you just love angels of mercy and grace...they're everywhere this time of year.... : )

Anonymous said...

i need one of them angels.

Sitting on pins and needles waiting for part 2

Anonymous said...

...awww, Sallie, you've got oodles... : )