Monday, December 31, 2007

A Good Cause

After Kyle died, I sort of opted out of any familial logistical decisions. At the hospital, as they prepared my brother for organ donation, my parents asked me simple questions about burial, funeral, and memorial arrangements, and the only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted a grave to visit. But everything else - death certificates and headstones and slideshows and biographies - I stayed out of. It just all felt so exhausting.

So maybe that's why it didn't occur to me until now to post something about the scholarship fund my parents established in Kyle's name. It's called the San Francisco State University Kyle Campbell Whitham McLeod Scholarship in Latin American History, and it was set up to provide some relief to “students experiencing financial hardship and enable them to continue on their path towards graduation.” Kyle talked a lot about the growing cost of state education in California, about how friends of his were being priced out of what is supposed to be affordable public education, so I know he would be proud that an annual scholarship in his name will help other students in his major get through school.

Thanks to the generosity of friends and family (and my parents' unions), we've already received the minimum amount needed to establish an endowment. The more contributions we get, though, the larger the annual scholarship amount, and the more help a needy kid gets each year.

SO, if you haven't already, please consider donating.

Make checks payable to the SF State Foundation, and make sure to designate that it is a donation to the Kyle McLeod Scholarship Fund. Mail donations to:

San Francisco State University
Office of Development – ADM 153
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, California
94132

Past and future donors, thank you!

GTD from 818***7818:
Ur mom hates you

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea. My check's in the mail today. Not only is it one tiny way of saying 'thank-you' to both Miranda and Kyle, but I also get to grab my last tax-deductible donation of the year!

I'm linking this everywhere I can..

c. g. said...

Thank you, Mir, for the post. And thank you Mr. Weber, for your gift. This is the first scholarship at SFSU in Latin American History and I think it is wonderful that the interests of a young African-American has inspired it.

By the way. The GTD is all wrong today (as most days). Ur mom loves you. A lot.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I couldn't be more sure of the gratefulness of the transplant patients. What a wonderful gift from your brother and family. I hope you will meet them all someday so you know.