Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's Christmas Time in the City

Despite all my holiday grouchiness, I have to say there's something nice about a Christmas party. Carols can actually be kind of pretty when they're not being piped into a 100,000 sq ft box store, and the only gift you're expected to bring is a bottle of wine.

So when my friend Katie B decided to throw a holiday party this year, I agreed to help. It's tonight, the theme is Peruvian Casual Chic (she and her boyfriend Dominique just got back from Machu Picchu, I haven't seen the pictures yet, but apparently they're spectacular (and they brought me back the softest skein of alpaca wool, the dears)), and we're making my mom's famous hard eggnog and Aunt Della's famous spiced nuts and we're baking sugar cookies to decorate. Isn't that exciting?

The thing though, about entertaining in New York in your mid twenties is that you have nothing. After eight moves, all the First Apartment kitchenware your parents bought you when you left for college is long gone, and New York's ravenous landlords have steadily bled you of any money you've earned since. No matter how many friends you call, no one has any cookie cutters to lend you.

So as I type this, Katie is whipping through Bed Bath & Beyond for last minute necessities and I'm headed off to the flower district to buy the requisite poinsettas and holly and mistletoe. We have ten hours and a lot to do. And I have to paint these nails.

3 comments:

c. g. said...

gosh -- too bad we aren't yet able to "beam" things "up" up and away. i have a bunch of cookie cutters AND two rolling pins. and probably a bunch more other things you guys could use; like a big punch bowl and little cups. BTW, be sure to use little cups; that eggnog packs a whollap! have sparkling water or other drinks too.

oh, jeez, i just had a flash back to the Xmas eggnog i had in Petaluma, California in 1971, where a "friend" put LSD in it--we didn't know until she asked gleefully, "Anyone having fun yet?" i had what only can be described as a Bad Trip. this inspires the "Avoid the punch!" warning. or maybe just "Watch Out for Your Guests!"

didi979 said...

I love this one too . . . the picture is glorious, it actually makes the city at Christmas look inspiring. Lots of hugs, have a wonderful party and make some great cookies. I too could help you out if there was a way to twitch my nose like Samantha and get you the good quickly.

XXX0000XXXX0000

Dianne

Anonymous said...

....would somebody please, please be willing to email the eggnog recipe to me???....it is legendary and i've never even had a sip.... : (

....Mir, have a wonderful time at your party - it sounds like great fun - and you deserve some, hun... : )