Saturday, December 8, 2007

It's Christmas Time, In Case You've Forgotten

Here I am, trying to procrastinate from writing fiction by writing a blog, when suddenly there is a roar - a sustained, growling roar - coming from the street below. It's followed by unintelligible singing. Then bells and cheering, and general loud drunken revelry. It goes on for a while. It's still going on. And I only notice because it's a bit early for this kind of drunken extremism, even for a Saturday, so I get up and look out and see this:

Okay, so it's not so impressive all blurry and from a distance, but that there is a bar full of Santas. So many Santas that they're spilling out onto the street. So many Santas shouting in unison that they sound like they're partying on my fire escape, five flights up, even with my windows closed.

17 days till Christmas and counting...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL What a riot, I am glad you took time out to show us!

now back to work young lady

hugs

c. g. said...

I can't wait to come to NYC for Xmas. I want to do my laundry and I want to drink Irish whisky with the Santas. I may even want to get my boots resoled. And I can't wait to see what else turns up in the next 17 days. Merry merry merry . . .

Lunafly said...

Now that's what I call Christmas spirit!

Justin said...

Me and Lauren went to the St Marks Ale House for a pre-dinner drink yesterday, and had a slightly weird encounter: all at once, about 40 guys in snowflake-patterned sweaters came in. They were mostly Irish. Nice guys, but bad sweaters.