Saturday, August 25, 2007

Kevin A. Kelly Is a Genius

Do you ever listen to This American Life? I'm in love with that show. It's the best thing on the radio, and I'm an avid NPR fan. I've listened to every single episode made over the last ten years that's available online. And you should, too.

I love TAL so much, I try to tune into the new episode as soon as I can. It airs Sundays at 4 pm on WNYC, but WAMC in Albany airs it Saturdays at 8 am, so if I wake up early I can tune in online a full 16 hours earlier.

I used to search NPR stations endlessly, cataloging which stations aired TAL on Saturdays and which on Sundays, those in the mornings and those in the afternoons. My goal was to compile an exhaustive list, so that at any given hour on any given weekend I could hear the new TAL.

And then? Something amazing happened. I found a website called PublicRadioFan.com. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen. You choose a time zone and program, it gives you every single public radio station airing that program in every possible time slot. Can you believe it?? Need your Teri Gross, but it's 11 and she comes on at 3? Easy. Curious as to what's airing right now on public radio across the nation? No problem. Want to avoid the six hour blocks of classical music so many NPR stations are prone to? They got you. Talk about better living through modern technology.

Using PublicRadioFan, I listened to TAL this morning. It was a good one, breakup themed. In it, writer and long time contributor Starlee Kine told the story of her recent breakup. He left her, she was devastated, she spent months wallowing in misery and sappy eighties breakup songs. And then, in a bizarre attempt to heal, she decided to write her own breakup song. She called Phil Collins, got some advice, collaborated with a couple of experienced musicians, and recorded a song. It's good. Phil Collins thinks so, too. Check it out.

Kevin A. Kelly, PublicRadioFan founder and editor, you are a selfless and meticulous soul, and for that I thank you.

GTD from Mazerollegez@bswm.org:
Hello mir
Tired of being just average?

UPDATE: I found the link to Starlee Kine's actual song, instead of just the show page. Enjoy!

1 comment:

whimspot said...

I agree ! I always use publicradiofan at work !