Monday, September 24, 2007

I Could Teach Tom Cruise a Thing or Two About War

It's on.

Two mosquitoes infiltrated my room last night. The New York front must've heard about my DC victory, because I was barely home before I had two fresh bites. Luckily, I spotted the bastards early, while the lights were still on, and was able to kill one before bedtime. But the other still lurked and reinforcements were likely on their way, so I doused myself in Off before I went to sleep. My bed smells like a campsite, but at least I woke up swell-free.

There's been some confusion about Kenny Loggins, so here's an explanation:

Last summer, J bought a 1992 GMC Vandura in Jacksboro, Texas. He used to be in this band, The Golden Falcons, and they took the as-yet-unnamed-van on the road. They left out of Dallas, chose the unluckiest of routes, and were plagued the entire trip by transmission trouble and an overheating engine. They were pulled over just outside of Emporia, Kansas, towed by the sadistic parents of NASCAR racer Clint Bower, and one of them was arrested, requiring the rest of them to scrounge enough money to release not only the van, but their bandmate as well. It was a complete disaster, and somehow most of the responsibility was heaped onto the poor Vandura.

Hence, the name. Have you ever heard Highway to the Danger Zone from Top Gun? It's got a great music video. Kenny can't writhe on the bed hard enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try taking some citronella oil and putting a few drops in a warm bath. I think you can get it at just about any natural/earthy/organic kind of store. Or, you can dab the stuff on your exposed bits before sleeping. You can also burn it, like incense. Ask your local herbalist for some advice. I have used it for years and find it is actually pleasant, and is all natural, etc. and it keeps the blood sucking fiends away. I am allergic to black fly bites in much the same way, so I can relate. Citronella mixed with lemon oil is very nice, too.... : )