Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dead Brothers Aren't Funny

Now that Kyle is dead, I have to tell people about it. I try not to do it too often - it's a pretty big burden to drop on a casual acquaintance - but occasionally I find myself with a choice to make: I can either tell someone I don't know too well that my brother died this past summer, or I can lie.

Last week, I met with my craft teacher to discuss the lack of progress my fiction's been making these days. She asked about my "novel" - eighty directionless pages set in Cayucos, a beach town my family used to visit in the summers - and I told her that I couldn't really work on it anymore, at least not now, and that I was flailing around, looking for other subject matter.

"Short stories?"

"Well, yes, but I really still want to write a novel, see. I'm craving a longer project--"

"But you already have a novel. Why aren't you working on it?"

I looked away. Should I tell her the truth - that this novel of mine is set in a real place with a real beach and my brother and I in sweatshirts and shorts would take real dollar bills to a real candy store with huge glass jars and buy plastic bags of candy to eat while we watched old men fish off the pier? That the fact that my novel lacked a plot and a purpose was the least of its problems, because the real reason I couldn't write about Cayucos was my brother, who was dead?

I started to bullshit. "Well, it was a pretty ambitious project, a bit more than I could chew, really..." But I trailed off. I was here for help, she might as well have all the facts.

Then, before I could start over, before I could affect the tone and stance of the bereaved and softly explain that there had been an accident, I did the most inappropriate thing.

I laughed.

I laughed kind of wearily, like I was about to launch into a three-part story about how my laptop caught a nasty virus and now the tech people were having trouble retrieving my Word files.

And while laughing, I learned something: laughter is the wrong preface to a death announcement. It throws people off, sets them up for a humorous anecdote, not news of a kid dying. Laughing, you sound like you don't take the death seriously, like you're more concerned about making someone uncomfortable than the death of your loved one. It makes you sound crazy.

So I laughed, pulled myself together, and told my teacher that my brother had died. I could see her trying to figure out what I was saying, the expressions clashing on her face as she guessed how to respond.

We got everything clear, eventually. She asked what happened, how old he was, and expressed her condolences. And then she said what I was afraid she'd say: that I could never expect to find, or fix, a novel if I wasn't writing fiction every day.

I thanked her and left. I would take her advice. I would write fiction everyday. But first I would go home and write a blog about inappropriate laughter, because I'm not crazy. Or cold-hearted. I laughed because there is something inherently funny about that moment before you tell someone that your 22-year-old brother died in a train accident. Here you are, holding this really horrible information and someone asks you for it, and you know that they don't really want it, that it's awful and sad and will just make their day worse for knowing, but they're asking you and you don't want to be rude or a liar so you're going to give it to them. But before you do you laugh, because man, they have no idea what they're getting themselves into.

I don't regret telling my teacher about my brother, even if I did seem crazy. Maybe she'll look on me a little more kindly when my attention drifts in class. But, in the future, I have to remember not to laugh first. You can't laugh and then dump news like that on someone. That's why we have things like social cues and body language - information of that magnitude needs to be prefaced. Otherwise, it's too much of a shock to the system.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you can still laugh girl! Sorry about the timing, but you'll get that together eventually.

I had this adviser during my grad School disaster named Betsy. She reminded me of my Mom - Betsy.
Every time I would go into her office for "advice", for some damn reason, my flood gates would open and I would cry. She would remark about this saying "you do not appear stable, you cry whenever you come in here."
Well, being told I was unstable would make me cry even harder.
I tried to explain that she reminded me of my Mom. She did not take kindly to a near 40 year old woman saying she reminded her of her mom. "how do you expect to work in he field if you can't keep it together?"
I tried to explain it was something about her, that the only time I cried was here in her office. Ok ,I also explained that two kids I worked with in undergrad killed themselves. My friends daughter killed herself last summer and I am working with a teen that is suicidal. I have no one to talk about this with because my supervisor has been out sick for weeks. I got nothing but a cold shoulder - this made me cry harder!
As she grew colder ,I tried for some sympathy. I explained that we had just discovered my daughters boss, for three years, who was also our friend, was just caught with a slew of video tapes from the employees bathroom. My 16 year old daughters pictures happened to be "the most graphic"
Her reply "perhaps you need to take some time off from school to get your life in order"
I went to the head of the department and asked for a change of advisers. I was told "Betsy is our best adviser, you need to talk with her and work things out.If you can't work things out with Betsy you will never make it is the field"
Well, those bitches were right - I never did make it in the field...

So Mir, I do understand not being able to contain one's emotions around our "superiors" I just wished I had laughed instead.

I have total faith that you will pull this one off too. I think your Mom's idea of writing a novel in blog form is brilliant - would this work with you current story????

Anonymous said...

...actually, Mir, i find the laughter to be most appropriate to the occasion...think about it....you are working on a novel that includes imagery loaded up with yourself and Kyle....and suddenly he has died.....it is almost as if you can't write your novel, because one of the characters has gone missing...the irony of being in a meeting with an instructor to whom you must explain your missing chapters involves explaining your missing brother....dark comedy, maybe...but logical....so, i'd have laughed too.....hugs, hun... : )

...and Sal....i cannot comprehend the utter incompetence of said bitches....you would have had a damn fine career in your field...you know it and so does everyone else who saw you through much celebrated undergrad success....one thing i am learning in this process (and possibly much the same as you, who have gone before me) is that state based academia is plagued with more than garden variety neurosis in almost every discipline....and that those in power positions are either obsessed with being published...or they have been tenured for so bloody long that they have grown dull and weary in their own field of expertise....so, for whatever it's worth...you could and should easily dust off your ambitions and find an alternate path...you're needed out there....love you and hugs to you too.... : )

c. g. said...

and that's why i wish we were Greek right now and we would all be dressed in black and upon approach, your professor would know what was going on and would have said, "oh, miranda, you're in black. i bet you've lost a close family member. you're in mourning. people in mourning are not expected to do anything. not to write fiction, non-fiction, their name, nothing. we're gonna give you an 'olly olly in free' and you've gonna skate. you can do whatever you want for a whole year. or more. whatever you need . . . oh, and your mom? she can skate too."

and that was my fiction writing for the day.

Lunafly said...

Sallie you made me think of something, or well...someone. I had a professor in college (Carolyn Reeves) who so very much reminded me of Great Aunt Cyn, she really must have somehow been a cousin. I once told her and, as a children/family therapist herself, she was quite flattered once I told her all of the wonderful things my great aunt had done. I don't understand those who must react harshly. They should take it as a sign of trust and respect that their student would confide in them. I'm sorry you got a bad apple.

c. g. said...

alicia -- thanks for your kind words. i'll get back to genealogy one of these days. maybe i'll discover Ms. Reeves relation to us all!- GAC