Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Proposal

I was listening to NPR today and had a thought:

I am so much looking forward to a lifetime of NPR.

Those soothing voices, that melodious syntax, all that correct grammar and specific pronunciation. And then there's the constant reassurance of its breadth and scope, as if not one newsworthy story in the whole wide world is missed by NPR's all-seeing, all-analyzing eye. It's calming, it's inoffensive, it's what Steven Colbert brilliantly called "light gray."

My parents listened to NPR. In the car, in the kitchen, in the living room. I've been steeped in it my whole life. For me, the sun rises to Morning Edition. All Things Considered is time to come in for dinner. Weekend Edition is scones and big pancakes and, before it became such an ego-soaked Garrison songfest, A Prairie Home Companion was long Sunday evenings with homework still to do.

In high school, I discovered This American Life. In college, I became a member. Every morning my alarm goes off and Steve Inskeep coaxes me into consciousness. I shower with the radio turned up load enough to hear Ira Glass. I walk around New York to Jay Allison.

NPR, I love you. I've always loved you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.

Will you marry me?

3 comments:

didi979 said...

Mir:

Devon once said that NPR was comfort food for the soul! I think she's right . . . what would we do without it. NPR for our mind and soul; mac & cheese for the taste buds and tummy - perfect! It's so great that the cousins all have the NPR experience in common - it's a cultural norm for our family.

Much love,
Didi

Anonymous said...

I started listening to NPR in college. It was the only station I could get that wasn't in French. It is always refreshing to hear their intruiging human interest stories, both locally, and from around the world. It certainly serves as a superior cultural mirror as compared with the endless loops of self-destructive young celeberties that the rest of the media has become obsessed with.

c. g. said...

your dad and i discovered NPR while in the car on our honeymoon in Maine in 1979. we kept searching for new stations as we drove outside the signal area. back in LA we discovered KCRW and then KPCC. i can't stand driving across country; NPR always disappears . . .

now if i can just get all of you into Pacifica radio, we'll really have the public airways covered!