Saturday, October 6, 2007

I'm Dirty 2

My apartment's not as bad as it was before, I swear. We've been keeping it cleaner and sweeping now and then, but still, we had our second mouse emergency last night.

Turk, the little bastard, came trotting into the bedroom with a live mouse in his mouth.

"Oh my God!" J said.

"Oh my God!" I said.

We stood up and Turk dodged us, confused. He'd been expected celebration. He darted left and right, lowering his head every now and then like he was going to put the mouse down. "Nonono!" We shouted at him. We waved our arms. We didn't know what to do, but we knew we didn't want him to let that mouse go.

Eventually, we got Turk, Bean, and the mouse sealed off in the kitchen. We stood on the other side of the door, our hearts racing, trying to come up with a plan. The thing was alive. If we got it away from the cats, we would be dealing with a live mouse. Or, even worse, an injured mouse in need of our attention somehow.

"We'd have to kill it," I said. "If it's bleeding or broken or half-dead we can't just throw it away and let it die for six hours in the trash can. We have to whack it or something."

Neither J or I wanted to whack it.

We carefully let ourselves into the kitchen. Turk had the mouse trapped behind the garbage can. Bean was guarding the closet, the most likely escape route. The mouse dashed from one side of the can to the other, trying desperately to outmaneuver Turk.

"Well, I guess we've got to try and...get it."

Does this sound dumb? Are you laughing at us? I feel like this is something we should've known - how to deal with a mouse in the house. This is one of those ancient human problems, right? I mean, isn't this why we domesticated cats? To catch mice? But then again, mice are disease-ridden, right? Do we really want our cats eating them? And is it morally wrong to let our cats torture a mouse for hours? And what if it gets away and dies of its injuries and rots under our couch? And why, at the age of 26 and 33, did we not know how to handle this?

Our best guess was to take an empty, kitten-sized litter box left over from Turk's baby days, edge the cats away from the mouse, and try to capture it. It wasn't easy. The mouse was fleeing us now and kept darting under Turk, hiding in his chest while he sniffed frantically around, tail puffed and eyes wild, knowing the prey was close but not realizing how close.

Finally, I slammed the box down on the mouse, pinching Turk's paw and the mouse's tail in the process, but small price to pay. The rodent was contained. Now, the matter of what to do with it.

"I mean, I guess we could...what? Put it in a bag? Slam it with something or something?" The cats weaved through our legs with yellow eyes. They had been torturing the mouse, and now we were torturing them. Whatever we were going to do, we needed to do it now.

We decided to let the mouse go. I slid a piece of cardboard under the box and carried the trapped mouse upstairs to the roof. When I lifted the box, the mouse was still there, huddled in a ball on the cardboard, looking adorable and terrified. I waved my arm and the mouse squeaked, turned, and fled. It ran pretty fast, like any injuries it had might be minimal.

I know we made the wrong decision. Mice are pests. Humans kill them, and not out of any sadism or superiority. It's not healthy to live with mice. That's just how things are. And to release a mouse because you're too squeamish to kill it goes against the ancient collective knowledge of our species. But seeing that little tail disappear into the shadows made me feel better. Sure, the mouse might return. But there are nineteen other apartments in my building to chose from, most without cats. Next time, someone else'll get the opportunity to kill the damn thing.

7 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Miranda,
I am a longtime friend of your Mother and I have been reading your blog. It is great and has inspired me to write you. My husband Carlos passed away in February after a 26th month fight with a maliganant brain tumor. Reading your blogabout Leonard Cohen brought back memories of the last few months of his life. He loved music and he spend most of his time listening to it since he was no longer able to read, write or take pictures,all of which it loved also. He had a collection of leonard Cohen and listened to that most of the time,along with the Cowboy Junkies and Neil Young. That is so cool that Cohen contacted you and send the drawing. You are right the internet is a great and wonderful place. I really enjoy your writing you have a wonderful way of making me feel like I am there with you.I was at Kyles memorial with my son but did not get a chance to meet you and tell you how much you were in our hearts. Your Mom is like a part of our family as much as a theraphist can be. I felt that I had watched you and your brother grow up through the last 14 years I have known her. Once you served me coffee when you were working at the coffee house on Colorado in Eagle Rock, I was on my way to see your Mom. When I got there i told her I saw her beautiful daughter finally. Her face beamed with delight as always when she talked of you and your brother. Thanks for sharing your life, it has brought alot of smiles to me as well as tears. I am so sorry for you loss. I hope you don't think it is werid for me to write you but your Mom encouraged me to. As you can tell I am not much of a writer but I wanted to thank you for the blog and how it has helped me in my own journey of loss.

didi979 said...

Mir - This was a wonderfully written story. I was laughing out loud - yet again! I know you are aware of the fact that from a Buddhist perspective that mouse is one of the universe - equal to you and me - (imagine that!) and you certainly did the right thing by letting it live (we will forget the germ theory for the moment); and anyway who in their right mind could whack Stuart Little . . . I mean really!

wow - leonard cohen, not THAT is cool!

I love you very, very much!
Di

Justin said...

I for one am very surprised that the people who left a raging hot shower on unattended for 2 hours didn't know how to handle a mouse.

Not that I was any help. :)

c. g. said...

i don't think you were present when the Puss brought into the kitchen a VERY LARGE VERY LIVING rat. (very nearly the size of the lion-cut Puss you saw in august.) in its jaws. he set it down. it started to move. the Puss saw me. or heard me, i was probably screaming. the Puss clearly thought i wanted his rat and he re-grabbed it in his jaws and ran outside with it. thank god the back door was open. of course if the back door hadn't been open, he wouldn't have brought the damned rat in in the first place.

the other time he brought in a rat, we were too late. we found it under a chair in the dining room, of course. dead. beyond dead. mostly bones, skin, entrails, and tail.

so count your blessings.

Anonymous said...

I don't even like to take my own fish off of the hook. I always feel the need to apologize.

Blair said...

Hi Mir
Its interesting that I have picked the Liberated Mouse blog to comment on. Its not that your other blogs have not been deeply felt, its just that I have nothing to say that hasnt usually been said by one of the brillant, verbose women in our family.

On to the Mouse. New Hampshire 1976, sitting at kitchen table eating dinner, enters cat, proud,elder,beautiful cat "snatch" (name origin obvious)with cute, very live field mouse in jaws. Large Mickey Mouse ears, oh so squeakingly cute, but trapped like a rat in the jaws of a Maine coon cat. We immedieatly scream SNATCH which results in a startled formerly proud cat to drop prey under our feet. Now, mouse looking like blind track star sprints across floor directly in line with tired but awake dog, beautiful blue eyed Husky "Ganja" (name origin even more obvious)lying in prone position with jaws on floor. Opens mouth,enters mouse, no chewing just one big gulp, very satisfied look on Ganja's face, doesn"t bother to get up to help digesting, just lies with satisfied, smug expression of contentment.

Love you girl
Uncle Blair

c. g. said...

Brother of mine -- thanks for the wonderful walk down memory lane (re Ganja and Snatch) altho i was not present for the Mouse Suicide-by-Dog. looks like we have another writer in the family. how could you keep these talents hidden from us?

--love

one of the BVW